[ANN] No more packaging fix until the security release please!

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] No more packaging fix until the security release please!

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
We've made a pre-announcement that there will be a security release coming next Wednesday.

In preparation to that, I ask my fellow developers to please hold off package script changes until after the security release is over. While the testing of packages have considerably improved, it is still a limited coverage against the vast number of different distro flavors (*.deb is used by Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, ...) and their versions. We can only get to a certain level of confidence by releasing packages in mainline and have actual users use them.

Shortly after the security release, there will be a surge of upgrades. We need to do our best to make those upgrades go smoothly. If packages are broken and that prevents people from upgrading, that can put our users in harm.

So please refrain from making additional changes, and please discuss changes with Daniel Beck if you absolutely must.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4yWoJXkqQfrTdUKFZbAXt7LRZb12Uc7-VafZXuuBNduLA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] No more packaging fix until the security release please!

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Oh, the package script freeze should be another thing to be written into the security release process document to be produced.

2015-11-06 11:07 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:
We've made a pre-announcement that there will be a security release coming next Wednesday.

In preparation to that, I ask my fellow developers to please hold off package script changes until after the security release is over. While the testing of packages have considerably improved, it is still a limited coverage against the vast number of different distro flavors (*.deb is used by Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, ...) and their versions. We can only get to a certain level of confidence by releasing packages in mainline and have actual users use them.

Shortly after the security release, there will be a surge of upgrades. We need to do our best to make those upgrades go smoothly. If packages are broken and that prevents people from upgrading, that can put our users in harm.

So please refrain from making additional changes, and please discuss changes with Daniel Beck if you absolutely must.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4xG_Hwt9GCvWdyWzoP9mOUVd3VpWtq7pm3vB17WUqqiVQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.