Quantcast

Amazon SNS notifier plugin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Amazon SNS notifier plugin

Michael Watt
Hi,

I have written a very simple notification plugin for internal use that
sends failed/unstable build notifications to an AWS SNS topic. The
source can be found here:

https://github.com/mikewatt/jenkins-snsnotify-plugin

This is my first attempt at extending Jenkins (and using Maven), so
any criticism is welcome. As yet there is no wiki page and pom.xml is
missing a number of details mentioned in the tutorial, but if there is
any interest in this plugin I will add these.

Regards,
Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Amazon SNS notifier plugin

jieryn
Greetings,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Michael Watt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have written a very simple notification plugin for internal use that
> sends failed/unstable build notifications to an AWS SNS topic. The
> source can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/mikewatt/jenkins-snsnotify-plugin

Cool! :-)

> This is my first attempt at extending Jenkins (and using Maven), so
> any criticism is welcome. As yet there is no wiki page and pom.xml is
> missing a number of details mentioned in the tutorial, but if there is
> any interest in this plugin I will add these.

I think this plugin will be a welcome addition to the Jenkins
notifiers. It is typical that Jenkins forks your plugin and then
development work continues on the blessed version. If you want to do
that, there are several people that can handle it..

Since you asked for critique, you should definitely fix up the pom so
that it can be used by Maven for release. This will let other teams
use your plugin more easily. I think the only critique/question I have
is: since you are depending on Jenkins 1.431, why do you maintain the
old package naming hierarchy? It is more typical to use
org/jenkins/ci/plugins or org/jenkinsci/plugins.

-Jesse

--
There are 10 types of people in this world, those
that can read binary and those that can not.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Amazon SNS notifier plugin

Michael Watt
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your comments.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Jesse Farinacci <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Michael Watt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have written a very simple notification plugin for internal use that
>> sends failed/unstable build notifications to an AWS SNS topic. The
>> source can be found here:
>>
>> https://github.com/mikewatt/jenkins-snsnotify-plugin
>
> Cool! :-)
>
>> This is my first attempt at extending Jenkins (and using Maven), so
>> any criticism is welcome. As yet there is no wiki page and pom.xml is
>> missing a number of details mentioned in the tutorial, but if there is
>> any interest in this plugin I will add these.
>
> I think this plugin will be a welcome addition to the Jenkins
> notifiers. It is typical that Jenkins forks your plugin and then
> development work continues on the blessed version. If you want to do
> that, there are several people that can handle it..

Sounds good. I will hold off until I've had a chance to address the
things you mention below, then pursue this.

>
> Since you asked for critique, you should definitely fix up the pom so
> that it can be used by Maven for release. This will let other teams
> use your plugin more easily. I think the only critique/question I have
> is: since you are depending on Jenkins 1.431, why do you maintain the
> old package naming hierarchy? It is more typical to use
> org/jenkins/ci/plugins or org/jenkinsci/plugins.

To be honest the end result was mostly piecing bits and pieces
together from tutorials and a couple of other plugins as examples. I
will change the package names. Is it worth dropping the Jenkins
dependency down to a lower version (I notice a lot seem to use 1.399)?

>
> -Jesse
>
> --
> There are 10 types of people in this world, those
> that can read binary and those that can not.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Amazon SNS notifier plugin

jieryn
Greetings,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Michael Watt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it worth dropping the Jenkins
> dependency down to a lower version (I notice a lot seem to use 1.399)?

If you are thinking about lowering the requiredCore level, I would
really only consider two possibilities. Going down to Hudson 1.395
(which is what Jenkins was called before the rename, but the Maven
groupId:artifactId can not be retroactively changed), or choosing
something compatible with Jenkins LTS, for example Jenkins 1.409.

They each have their advantages, but I think 1.409 is the best move.

-Jesse

--
There are 10 types of people in this world, those
that can read binary and those that can not.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Amazon SNS notifier plugin

Michael Watt
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Jesse Farinacci <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>

>
> They each have their advantages, but I think 1.409 is the best move.
>

Right then. I've used 1.409 as the parent pom version and renamed the
package structure as org.jenkinsci.plugins. Is this at a point where
it can be forked by jenkinsci on github and if so, who is able to do
that? If not, what further changes are necessary?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Amazon SNS notifier plugin

jieryn
Greetings,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Michael Watt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Right then. I've used 1.409 as the parent pom version and renamed the
> package structure as org.jenkinsci.plugins. Is this at a point where
> it can be forked by jenkinsci on github and if so, who is able to do
> that? If not, what further changes are necessary?

Great! I think it's fine to put it into the jenkinsci space, there are
just a few gotchas that will prevent you from performing an official
release using the Jenkins infrastructure. This document is the best
place:

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Hosting+Plugins

If you find yourself stuck, then perhaps that is a place where the
documentation should be updated. Pop on to IRC and ping anyone with
voice privilege (+v); any of them can initiate the hardcore forking
action.

-Jesse

--
There are 10 types of people in this world, those
that can read binary and those that can not.
Loading...