[Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Luca Milanesio
Good point: let me try to see what's the effort for the declarative pipeline compatibility :-)

Luca.

> On 3 Jan 2018, at 18:16, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Luca Milanesio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you want to submit feedback to Gerrit in your pipeline, just add the following statement in your pipeline script:
>>
>> gerrit.review("Verified", 1, "It works !")
>
> I would urge you to use a plain old `Step` (no `workflow-cps`
> dependency except in `test` scope, no `GerritDSL` + `Gerrit.groovy`),
> e.g.:
>
> gerritReview status: 'Verified', vote: 1, message: 'It works!'
>
> You get a simpler implementation, *Pipeline Syntax* support,
> compatibility with Declarative Pipeline, and the chance to work
> unmodified with possible future execution engines.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6DF6680C-ACE2-4C7D-A8D0-364CCB0AC080%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Luca Milanesio
I've taken now https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-utility-steps-plugin as an example of simple utility steps and will add a brand-new implementation in Java.

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:57:15 AM UTC, lucamilanesio wrote:
Good point: let me try to see what's the effort for the declarative pipeline compatibility :-)

Luca.

> On 3 Jan 2018, at 18:16, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Luca Milanesio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you want to submit feedback to Gerrit in your pipeline, just add the following statement in your pipeline script:
>>
>> gerrit.review("Verified", 1, "It works !")
>
> I would urge you to use a plain old `Step` (no `workflow-cps`
> dependency except in `test` scope, no `GerritDSL` + `Gerrit.groovy`),
> e.g.:
>
> gerritReview status: 'Verified', vote: 1, message: 'It works!'
>
> You get a simpler implementation, *Pipeline Syntax* support,
> compatibility with Declarative Pipeline, and the chance to work
> unmodified with possible future execution engines.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/a64a7487-d79a-4c25-aeff-e96645c4cfef%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Jesse Glick-4
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 4:53 AM, lucamilanesio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've taken now https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-utility-steps-plugin as
> an example of simple utility steps

Best to start with the official documentation:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-step-api-plugin/blob/master/README.md

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr1sNtVakNOrB-wqLYPW1AjSsEjBYABC0u3TkqUxNXtg0w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Luca Milanesio
In reply to this post by Luca Milanesio


Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Jan 2018, at 02:18, David Pursehouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 12:22:57 AM UTC+9, lucamilanesio wrote:
Hi all,
the wait is finally over ... and the first Alpha release of the new Gerrit Code Review plugin for Jenkins is finally available!

I have submitted the request to get this hosted by the JenkinsCI organization and plugin central distribution ... however, in the meantime, you can download and install it from the GitHub repo at:
https://github.com/GerritForge/gerrit-plugin/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Aside from binary distribution, how do you intend to manage code reviews?  Will you keep it on GitHub and use pull requests, or are you going to host it on gerrit-review.googlesource.com?

This is actually a good idea, however we’ll have the problem of people expecting to raise PRs on the GitHub Jenkinsci organisation.

GerritHub would then be a better choice, because it allows to accept PRs as well, and review them through Gerrit.

Luca



--
--
To unsubscribe, email [hidden email]
More info at http://groups.google.com/group/repo-discuss?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Repo and Gerrit Discussion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B7D5411D-1F61-4BBF-BC02-DB8BA8324E3F%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea
In reply to this post by Jesse Glick-4
First let me thank Luca for his work on this plugin. I started to test it, raised few bugs and also working on implementing full JJB support for it.

Regarding contributions, I think that it would be the best to follow Jenkins CI workflow (github with PR) here and avoid gerrit one.

I see two important reasons: all jenkins plugins use the same process, diverging from standard is not good. Second, the plugin is too new to be considered stable, better to use a common/tested/stable process and focus on improving the plugin.

Moving the repo under jenkinsci and enabling Jenkins ci testing would be the next natural step but there is no pressure.

Now I only hope that I will see more activity on the issue tracker and as PRs being raised. I am eager to see it as reaching a stable release and I am sure that there are lots of people that could help with that.

-- sorin

> On 3 Jan 2018, at 18:16, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Luca Milanesio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you want to submit feedback to Gerrit in your pipeline, just add the following statement in your pipeline script:
>>
>> gerrit.review("Verified", 1, "It works !")
>
> I would urge you to use a plain old `Step` (no `workflow-cps`
> dependency except in `test` scope, no `GerritDSL` + `Gerrit.groovy`),
> e.g.:
>
> gerritReview status: 'Verified', vote: 1, message: 'It works!'
>
> You get a simpler implementation, *Pipeline Syntax* support,
> compatibility with Declarative Pipeline, and the chance to work
> unmodified with possible future execution engines.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/E3pvb0WH4Ls/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/E4C7F294-9200-4C1A-95BF-906A99154640%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Luca Milanesio


On 19 Jan 2018, at 10:29, Sorin Sbarnea <[hidden email]> wrote:

First let me thank Luca for his work on this plugin. I started to test it, raised few bugs and also working on implementing full JJB support for it.

Thanks for trying it out :-) I always appreciated early feedback.
It is still a pre-alpha, so it is not suitable yet for production ... I am using it anyway on a daily basis and it works for me. However, still needs a lot of improvements.


Regarding contributions, I think that it would be the best to follow Jenkins CI workflow (github with PR) here and avoid gerrit one.

I believe in dogfooding and innovation, rather than "standards". However, I see your point.
It will stay on GitHub and reviews will be welcome from both GerritHub and GitHub sides :-)


I see two important reasons: all jenkins plugins use the same process, diverging from standard is not good.

Why? The audience is "people that work with Jenkins and Gerrit" and I'd leave it to them to decide the best tool to do reviews.

Second, the plugin is too new to be considered stable,

It isn't a stable release but rather a pre-alpha.

better to use a common/tested/stable process and focus on improving the plugin. 

Gerrit Code Review and GitHub are both common, tested and stable processed IMHO. They have been around for ~ 10 years now.
GerritHub.io was launched in 2013, 5 years ago, has 99.99% uptime and over 25k active users.


Moving the repo under jenkinsci and enabling Jenkins ci testing would be the next natural step but there is no pressure.




Now I only hope that I will see more activity on the issue tracker and as PRs being raised. I am eager to see it as reaching a stable release and I am sure that there are lots of people that could help with that.

I would have to close them and re-open them on the JenkinsCI project: the GerritForge one was just the pre-alpha inception.


-- sorin

On 3 Jan 2018, at 18:16, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Luca Milanesio
<[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want to submit feedback to Gerrit in your pipeline, just add the following statement in your pipeline script:

gerrit.review("Verified", 1, "It works !")

I would urge you to use a plain old `Step` (no `workflow-cps`
dependency except in `test` scope, no `GerritDSL` + `Gerrit.groovy`),
e.g.:

gerritReview status: 'Verified', vote: 1, message: 'It works!'

You get a simpler implementation, *Pipeline Syntax* support,
compatibility with Declarative Pipeline, and the chance to work
unmodified with possible future execution engines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/E3pvb0WH4Ls/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr3DWgR4sZktwYLB_wuynLL8TURTMF-6F_f2wkUhTBoXBA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/E4C7F294-9200-4C1A-95BF-906A99154640%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/242856C9-4C87-4481-9E7C-7579208D3553%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea
I hope you can enable the issue tracker on the new location.
I hope CloudBees would not force use of JIRA. Using GitHub issue tracker seems much easier, especially for a new project.

As soon as I will spot a .gitreview file in the root folder, I will now which is the preferred way to contribute.

Thanks
Sorin

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/F1CFADEC-44FB-4567-984C-560CA2CB11E0%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Announce] Gerrit CI workflow to become a brand-new Jenkins plugin

Jesse Glick-4
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM, Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope CloudBees would not force use of JIRA. Using GitHub issue tracker
> seems much easier, especially for a new project.

This is not a CloudBees issue. The Jenkins project recommends use of
JIRA for all components, and disabling GitHub issues, but that is for
each repository’s maintainer to decide.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr1MGWpVS0LVHoKdPvhF22i7cWa3bFRhTjXp4ZOhmc25RA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
12