Default email publisher and "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Default email publisher and "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"

Erik Ramfelt
As we have too many test failures for someone to fix (joy to code
generation), we only have unstable builds and we would like to use the
email notification only when a build fails. The help for "Email
notification" mentions a "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"
configuration.

The only configuration options I can see are:
* Send e-mail for every unstable build
* Send separate e-mails to individuals who broke the build


But one of our developers complained that he gets an email for some
unstable build even if the "Send e-mail for every unstable build" is
not checked.

We're running Hudson 1.148 but I cant see any changes in the change
log that mentions email notifications.

Regards
//Erik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default email publisher and "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Erik Ramfelt wrote:

> As we have too many test failures for someone to fix (joy to code
> generation), we only have unstable builds and we would like to use the
> email notification only when a build fails. The help for "Email
> notification" mentions a "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"
> configuration.
>
> The only configuration options I can see are:
> * Send e-mail for every unstable build
> * Send separate e-mails to individuals who broke the build
>
>
> But one of our developers complained that he gets an email for some
> unstable build even if the "Send e-mail for every unstable build" is
> not checked.
I think if a build fails or succeeds and the next one is unstable, then
people will get e-mails. Maybe that's what he's seeing.

We really need to integrate the email-ext plugin to the core, and we
really need to provide personalization. I hear from people that they
feel strongly about what e-mails they should and shouldn't get, and the
only way to make this work is to let them choose.

> We're running Hudson 1.148 but I cant see any changes in the change
> log that mentions email notifications.

The code hasn't been changed for some time now.



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default email publisher and "Don't send e-mail for every unstable build"

Erik Ramfelt
On 10/25/07, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think if a build fails or succeeds and the next one is unstable, then
> people will get e-mails. Maybe that's what he's seeing.

No, the build was unstable at all times. So there must be something
else to this. I can look into it and see if I could see what the
problem is. (And we can use the email-ext plugin instead)

> We really need to integrate the email-ext plugin to the core, and we
> really need to provide personalization. I hear from people that they
> feel strongly about what e-mails they should and shouldn't get, and the
> only way to make this work is to let them choose.

That is true, and I like the email-ext plugin as it gives much more
control. Perhaps you shouldnt integrate it into the hudson core, and
instead just add it to the hudson.war file as a plugin? That way the
Hudson core remains small and will only handle the bigger picture.

Regards
//Erik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]