Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Oleg Nenashev

Hi all,


I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins Governance meeting. There was a discussion about creating a new special interest group focused on the community onboarding/outreach (or morphing the GSoC SIG into such SIG). There were comments from Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action item.


Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus on the following topics:

  • Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors

  • Documentation for newbie contributors

  • Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In, Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.

  • Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs and SIGs)

  • Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)

  • Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling


There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.


Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.


I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance,

Oleg


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLBvMJXiQ5jF%2B7aY00sKPf7W9xZJvH5G4Mszg6%2BVB8Pr9A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Marky Jackson
I would very much like to be a part of this and help in any way possible.

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

Hi all,


I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins Governance meeting. There was a <a href="http://meetings.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-meeting/2018/jenkins-meeting.2018-11-21-18.00.log.html" style="text-decoration:none" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmeetings.jenkins-ci.org%2Fjenkins-meeting%2F2018%2Fjenkins-meeting.2018-11-21-18.00.log.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFv9TGAm-O_aY5ZELt6zrugWNtgAw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmeetings.jenkins-ci.org%2Fjenkins-meeting%2F2018%2Fjenkins-meeting.2018-11-21-18.00.log.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFv9TGAm-O_aY5ZELt6zrugWNtgAw&#39;;return true;">discussion about creating a new special interest group focused on the community onboarding/outreach (or morphing the <a href="https://jenkins.io/sigs/gsoc/" style="text-decoration:none" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.io%2Fsigs%2Fgsoc%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHTSoJTVSlt8pvTA_23Qb1ot0o_hg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fjenkins.io%2Fsigs%2Fgsoc%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHTSoJTVSlt8pvTA_23Qb1ot0o_hg&#39;;return true;">GSoC SIG into such SIG). There were comments from Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action item.


Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus on the following topics:

  • Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors

  • Documentation for newbie contributors

  • Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In, Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.

  • Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs and SIGs)

  • Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)

  • Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling


There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.


Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.


I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance,

Oleg


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/cde7cad3-e6ed-491b-8dcf-1cae7316468b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

arch-2
Collect the feedbacks from the contributors and users is important. Share the questions and experience could let Jenkins community become stronger.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:19 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would very much like to be a part of this and help in any way possible.


On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

Hi all,


I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins Governance meeting. There was a discussion about creating a new special interest group focused on the community onboarding/outreach (or morphing the GSoC SIG into such SIG). There were comments from Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action item.


Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus on the following topics:

  • Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors

  • Documentation for newbie contributors

  • Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In, Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.

  • Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs and SIGs)

  • Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)

  • Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling


There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.


Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.


I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance,

Oleg


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/cde7cad3-e6ed-491b-8dcf-1cae7316468b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMM7nTGAxP33vdJv9_fga%2Bi6%3DMuvvEC50B2dWzkq%3Di1xqcqJbA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Matt Sicker
I'd also be interested in this SIG.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:26 PM arch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Collect the feedbacks from the contributors and users is important. Share the questions and experience could let Jenkins community become stronger.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:19 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would very much like to be a part of this and help in any way possible.


On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

Hi all,


I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins Governance meeting. There was a discussion about creating a new special interest group focused on the community onboarding/outreach (or morphing the GSoC SIG into such SIG). There were comments from Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action item.


Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus on the following topics:

  • Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors

  • Documentation for newbie contributors

  • Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In, Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.

  • Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs and SIGs)

  • Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)

  • Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling


There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.


Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.


I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance,

Oleg


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/cde7cad3-e6ed-491b-8dcf-1cae7316468b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMM7nTGAxP33vdJv9_fga%2Bi6%3DMuvvEC50B2dWzkq%3Di1xqcqJbA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Matt Sicker
Software Engineer, CloudBees

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAEot4owFSJPngzxmt_iiFjKpJgiPQ_jE7cGMGtDzfHzwXRorEA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Tracy Miranda
This sounds great. 

My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy, Hacktoberfest. 

GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to do so. 

Tracy

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 4:27 PM Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd also be interested in this SIG.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:26 PM arch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Collect the feedbacks from the contributors and users is important. Share the questions and experience could let Jenkins community become stronger.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:19 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would very much like to be a part of this and help in any way possible.


On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

Hi all,


I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins Governance meeting. There was a discussion about creating a new special interest group focused on the community onboarding/outreach (or morphing the GSoC SIG into such SIG). There were comments from Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action item.


Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus on the following topics:

  • Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors

  • Documentation for newbie contributors

  • Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In, Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.

  • Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs and SIGs)

  • Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)

  • Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling


There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.


Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.


I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance,

Oleg


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/cde7cad3-e6ed-491b-8dcf-1cae7316468b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMM7nTGAxP33vdJv9_fga%2Bi6%3DMuvvEC50B2dWzkq%3Di1xqcqJbA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Matt Sicker
Software Engineer, CloudBees

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAEot4owFSJPngzxmt_iiFjKpJgiPQ_jE7cGMGtDzfHzwXRorEA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CACTaz6oTA1kmp2dFeBT2e2_8r69ygfb1EZBCqPVLn-0METZ2TQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

R. Tyler Croy
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.

This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/20181203164920.GC14598%40grape.brokenco.de.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Liam Newman
I'm also plus +1, Tracy.

I'm a little concerned about over-broad scope.  But was can always adjust it as we go along. 


On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:49:35 AM UTC-8, R Tyler Croy wrote:
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.


This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  <a href="https://github.com/rtyler" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/a8699b87-be0b-4418-abea-7f356c5d98ea%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Oleg Nenashev
My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy, Hacktoberfest.

I definitely agree with such scope if it is an "Outreach" SIG.
But I do not see a lot of "Advocacy" in this scope TBH (Wikipedia).
  1. We do not manage social media
  2. We do not work with Jenkins Ambassadors
  3. This SIG does not coordinate JAMs, JOMs and other similar events
  4. ... // whatever other stuff from the first message (scope is definitely bloated there)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Liam, your proposal was to actually have an Advocacy SIG IIRC. If we go forward with the Outreach SIG, we still might create an Advocacy SIG. How do you see it?

Best regards,
Oleg
 
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:19:39 AM UTC+1, Liam Newman wrote:
I'm also plus +1, Tracy.

I'm a little concerned about over-broad scope.  But was can always adjust it as we go along. 


On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:49:35 AM UTC-8, R Tyler Croy wrote:
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.


This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  <a href="https://github.com/rtyler" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/91747fb6-f227-4bdb-b60a-a5a4d7a565e5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Liam Newman
Oleg, 
I understand your point that Outreach and Advocacy feel like separate areas, but they are closely related.  However, I'd together even with the scope being a bit broad.  

I think that everyone in an Advocacy SIG would need to also be part of an Outreach SIG - IMO a core aspect of advocacy for Jenkins is outreach.  To some extent, I think calling the SIG "Advocacy and Outreach" is almost redundant - except that, for the sake of new user outreach it is important to specify "Outreach" in the name of the SIG. :) 

Reversing that, people that are interested in working on Outreach and new user experience will generally need to be involved in discussions around Advocacy. We have sub-channels (and SIGs) for some outreach projects already. 

Does anyone else have strong feeling either way? 

As a separate question: Who are potential owners of the SIG(s)?

Some candidates:
  • Oleg Nenashev
  • Tracy Miranda 
  • Liam Newman
  • (your name here - any voluteers?)

Thanks,
Liam N. 

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy, Hacktoberfest.

I definitely agree with such scope if it is an "Outreach" SIG.
But I do not see a lot of "Advocacy" in this scope TBH (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocacy" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;">Wikipedia).
  1. We do not manage social media
  2. We do not work with Jenkins Ambassadors
  3. This SIG does not coordinate JAMs, JOMs and other similar events
  4. ... // whatever other stuff from the first message (scope is definitely bloated there)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Liam, your proposal was to actually have an Advocacy SIG IIRC. If we go forward with the Outreach SIG, we still might create an Advocacy SIG. How do you see it?

Best regards,
Oleg
 
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:19:39 AM UTC+1, Liam Newman wrote:
I'm also plus +1, Tracy.

I'm a little concerned about over-broad scope.  But was can always adjust it as we go along. 


On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:49:35 AM UTC-8, R Tyler Croy wrote:
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.


This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  <a href="https://github.com/rtyler" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/02b0a0fc-224c-46da-b137-ddbea3738e5c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Liam Newman
"... related.  I'd rather keep them together even with the scope being a bit broad."  
(don't know what happened there. CTRL-X misfire.)

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 10:55:41 AM UTC-8, Liam Newman wrote:
Oleg, 
I understand your point that Outreach and Advocacy feel like separate areas, but they are closely related.  However, I'd together even with the scope being a bit broad.  

I think that everyone in an Advocacy SIG would need to also be part of an Outreach SIG - IMO a core aspect of advocacy for Jenkins is outreach.  To some extent, I think calling the SIG "Advocacy and Outreach" is almost redundant - except that, for the sake of new user outreach it is important to specify "Outreach" in the name of the SIG. :) 

Reversing that, people that are interested in working on Outreach and new user experience will generally need to be involved in discussions around Advocacy. We have sub-channels (and SIGs) for some outreach projects already. 

Does anyone else have strong feeling either way? 

As a separate question: Who are potential owners of the SIG(s)?

Some candidates:
  • Oleg Nenashev
  • Tracy Miranda 
  • Liam Newman
  • (your name here - any voluteers?)

Thanks,
Liam N. 

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy, Hacktoberfest.

I definitely agree with such scope if it is an "Outreach" SIG.
But I do not see a lot of "Advocacy" in this scope TBH (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocacy" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;">Wikipedia).
  1. We do not manage social media
  2. We do not work with Jenkins Ambassadors
  3. This SIG does not coordinate JAMs, JOMs and other similar events
  4. ... // whatever other stuff from the first message (scope is definitely bloated there)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Liam, your proposal was to actually have an Advocacy SIG IIRC. If we go forward with the Outreach SIG, we still might create an Advocacy SIG. How do you see it?

Best regards,
Oleg
 
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:19:39 AM UTC+1, Liam Newman wrote:
I'm also plus +1, Tracy.

I'm a little concerned about over-broad scope.  But was can always adjust it as we go along. 


On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:49:35 AM UTC-8, R Tyler Croy wrote:
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.


This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  <a href="https://github.com/rtyler" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6f927b51-ec35-423c-abda-21e7976b0d41%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Oleg Nenashev
Hi Liam,

I went through the docs few times, and yes there is no restrictions about creating nested SIGs. Then I am fine if we create a mega-SIG and then split it to sub-SIGs if/when needed. So the structures may be the following:
  • A&O SIG => subSIG (GSoC)
  • A&O SIG => subproject (e.g. if we remove GSoC as a SIG)
  • A&O SIG => subSIG (GSoC) => subproject (GSoC)
My question then would be about the name. Would it be "Advocacy and Outreach"? I went through open-source project with SIGs, and there are not so many similar areas unfortunately (the most of projects have only technical SIGs). What I found:
Advocacy is not fully a part of that, but I have found many occurrences of "Advocacy and Community Outreach" and " Community Outreach and Advocacy" entries in the internet. If we are OK with the longer name, maybe it's a way to go.

Best regards,
Oleg



BR, Oleg


On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 7:58:49 PM UTC+1, Liam Newman wrote:
"... related.  I'd rather keep them together even with the scope being a bit broad."  
(don't know what happened there. CTRL-X misfire.)

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 10:55:41 AM UTC-8, Liam Newman wrote:
Oleg, 
I understand your point that Outreach and Advocacy feel like separate areas, but they are closely related.  However, I'd together even with the scope being a bit broad.  

I think that everyone in an Advocacy SIG would need to also be part of an Outreach SIG - IMO a core aspect of advocacy for Jenkins is outreach.  To some extent, I think calling the SIG "Advocacy and Outreach" is almost redundant - except that, for the sake of new user outreach it is important to specify "Outreach" in the name of the SIG. :) 

Reversing that, people that are interested in working on Outreach and new user experience will generally need to be involved in discussions around Advocacy. We have sub-channels (and SIGs) for some outreach projects already. 

Does anyone else have strong feeling either way? 

As a separate question: Who are potential owners of the SIG(s)?

Some candidates:
  • Oleg Nenashev
  • Tracy Miranda 
  • Liam Newman
  • (your name here - any voluteers?)

Thanks,
Liam N. 

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 11:03:16 PM UTC-8, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy, Hacktoberfest.

I definitely agree with such scope if it is an "Outreach" SIG.
But I do not see a lot of "Advocacy" in this scope TBH (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocacy" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAdvocacy\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHCJEz6Nl0N3iwt2IIGgaHjSKAaWw&#39;;return true;">Wikipedia).
  1. We do not manage social media
  2. We do not work with Jenkins Ambassadors
  3. This SIG does not coordinate JAMs, JOMs and other similar events
  4. ... // whatever other stuff from the first message (scope is definitely bloated there)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Liam, your proposal was to actually have an Advocacy SIG IIRC. If we go forward with the Outreach SIG, we still might create an Advocacy SIG. How do you see it?

Best regards,
Oleg
 
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 1:19:39 AM UTC+1, Liam Newman wrote:
I'm also plus +1, Tracy.

I'm a little concerned about over-broad scope.  But was can always adjust it as we go along. 


On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:49:35 AM UTC-8, R Tyler Croy wrote:
(replies inline)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> This sounds great.
>
> My preference for structure would be as 1 SIG (called Outreach or Outreach
> & Advocacy) which is an umbrella for initiatives like GSoC, Outreachy,
> Hacktoberfest.
>
> GSoC, Outreachy should maintain their own channels i.e. gitter, etc so
> those who want to just focus on those can do so. But then at the SIG level
> we cover more topics (as listed in the email) share best practices and
> foster wider collaboration across initiatives for those who would like to
> do so.


This sounds good to me Tracy, +1


--
GitHub:  <a href="https://github.com/rtyler" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Frtyler\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFtsnCUZ085B8982iTQ2KFqz5gYhw&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/39668732-4543-43bd-bbe4-21bae00e0bef%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Lloyd Chang
Curiously, would specific localization initiatives (e.g. Chinese Localization SIG's WeChat) be transferred to the broader umbrella of Outreach and Advocacy Mega-SIG?

For example: I view Twitter and WeChat as comparable mechanisms for advocacy; both would have measurable metrics re: followers and impressions.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Oleg Nenashev
Hi,

I do not think that such activity needs to be transferred unless Rick wants to do that. There are also many other outreach channels maintained my subprojects and other entities (e.g. Jenkins X, Evergreen, Jenkins RU, etc., etc.). My understanding is that:
  • The SIG is interested to help others to create such channels (as a part of outreach effort). E.g. it can help to create accounts and to promote them in the community
  • The SIG does not claim ownership of the social media channels unless it is agreed on
Best regards,
Oleg

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Lloyd Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Curiously, would specific localization initiatives (e.g. Chinese Localization SIG's WeChat) be transferred to the broader umbrella of Outreach and Advocacy Mega-SIG?

For example: I view Twitter and WeChat as comparable mechanisms for advocacy; both would have measurable metrics re: followers and impressions.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

arch-2
In my opinion, anyone who wants to help advocacy the Jenkins could be part of the social media channels. Of course, the code of conduct is necessary. But how to running Twitter and WeChat or other social media channels. Maybe we could have a regular meeting to discuss.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Oleg Nenashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I do not think that such activity needs to be transferred unless Rick wants to do that. There are also many other outreach channels maintained my subprojects and other entities (e.g. Jenkins X, Evergreen, Jenkins RU, etc., etc.). My understanding is that:
  • The SIG is interested to help others to create such channels (as a part of outreach effort). E.g. it can help to create accounts and to promote them in the community
  • The SIG does not claim ownership of the social media channels unless it is agreed on
Best regards,
Oleg

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Lloyd Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Curiously, would specific localization initiatives (e.g. Chinese Localization SIG's WeChat) be transferred to the broader umbrella of Outreach and Advocacy Mega-SIG?

For example: I view Twitter and WeChat as comparable mechanisms for advocacy; both would have measurable metrics re: followers and impressions.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMM7nTFBM%2BDojHe6Y9AvR-J95SuFqs1vJofQABZCg5tEva_LGg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Liam Newman
Oleg,
I totally agree with how you described the SIG's relationship with channels - there to help, not to specifically own/control the channels.

As to naming:
  1. "Advocacy and Outreach"
  2. "Outreach and Advocacy"
  3. "Advocacy and Community Outreach"
  4. "Community Outreach and Advocacy"

I've listed these in my order of preference, with my only -1 vote being #4.   Anyone else have an opinion? 

-L. 

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 1:41:28 AM UTC-8, Rick wrote:
In my opinion, anyone who wants to help advocacy the Jenkins could be part of the social media channels. Of course, the code of conduct is necessary. But how to running Twitter and WeChat or other social media channels. Maybe we could have a regular meeting to discuss.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Oleg Nenashev <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-P80N-3NBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">o.v.ne...@...> wrote:
Hi,

I do not think that such activity needs to be transferred unless Rick wants to do that. There are also many other outreach channels maintained my subprojects and other entities (e.g. Jenkins X, Evergreen, Jenkins RU, etc., etc.). My understanding is that:
  • The SIG is interested to help others to create such channels (as a part of outreach effort). E.g. it can help to create accounts and to promote them in the community
  • The SIG does not claim ownership of the social media channels unless it is agreed on
Best regards,
Oleg

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Lloyd Chang <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-P80N-3NBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">lloyd...@...> wrote:
Curiously, would specific localization initiatives (e.g. Chinese Localization SIG's WeChat) be transferred to the broader umbrella of Outreach and Advocacy Mega-SIG?

For example: I view Twitter and WeChat as comparable mechanisms for advocacy; both would have measurable metrics re: followers and impressions.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-P80N-3NBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jenkinsci-de...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/4e219e41-f579-4316-a382-0c7cf72bd55c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-P80N-3NBwAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">jenkinsci-de...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/optout&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/43bbbede-6538-482f-b49c-9ce207ab8cf3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Discussion: Community Onboarding/Outreach and Advocacy SIGs

Oleg Nenashev
Option 3 is my preference, but I am OK with options 1/2 as well


On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:22 PM Liam Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oleg,
I totally agree with how you described the SIG's relationship with channels - there to help, not to specifically own/control the channels.

As to naming:
  1. "Advocacy and Outreach"
  2. "Outreach and Advocacy"
  3. "Advocacy and Community Outreach"
  4. "Community Outreach and Advocacy"

I've listed these in my order of preference, with my only -1 vote being #4.   Anyone else have an opinion? 

-L. 

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 1:41:28 AM UTC-8, Rick wrote:
In my opinion, anyone who wants to help advocacy the Jenkins could be part of the social media channels. Of course, the code of conduct is necessary. But how to running Twitter and WeChat or other social media channels. Maybe we could have a regular meeting to discuss.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Oleg Nenashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I do not think that such activity needs to be transferred unless Rick wants to do that. There are also many other outreach channels maintained my subprojects and other entities (e.g. Jenkins X, Evergreen, Jenkins RU, etc., etc.). My understanding is that:
  • The SIG is interested to help others to create such channels (as a part of outreach effort). E.g. it can help to create accounts and to promote them in the community
  • The SIG does not claim ownership of the social media channels unless it is agreed on
Best regards,
Oleg

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 1:52 AM Lloyd Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Curiously, would specific localization initiatives (e.g. Chinese Localization SIG's WeChat) be transferred to the broader umbrella of Outreach and Advocacy Mega-SIG?

For example: I view Twitter and WeChat as comparable mechanisms for advocacy; both would have measurable metrics re: followers and impressions.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCz0oyDmsKcmSz%2Biq9Sw0B6UQ%3DLqEdSYizYR8k-Uh4NuA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-dev/84vjWz_Ho1k/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/43bbbede-6538-482f-b49c-9ce207ab8cf3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLBm%2Bq2Jd53et2P0CrvsCHQu1K8OuUa_puhs1pwO8z1A3Q%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.