GitHub Organization Folder polish

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
I was putting together a demo site http://demo.jenkins-ci.org/ to show case Jenkins 2.0 features, during which I noticed a number of low-hanging UI improvements. 

I jotted them down under "Pipeline as Code Polish" in here.

The main idea that I want to propose here is that:
  • Many of those UI improvements can be done as one time configuration of OragnizationFolder, MultiBranchProject, etc after they are created. This include icons, initial view and their columns, additional FolderProperty etc.

  • Therefore we need to implement ItemListener that performs those initial configurations as soon as those Items are created into Jenkins item tree

  • We should create a "GitHub Organization Folder" plugin that houses that, and this also creates a convenient aggregator for people who want to install this functionality through UC, which is another pet-peeve.


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4y%2BYKw0gy2W4KdrnDyG9dbnvbQxU9ag7yrNOMZH%3DjWtxQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Jesse Glick-4
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many of those UI improvements can be done as one time configuration of
> OragnizationFolder, MultiBranchProject, etc after they are created. This
> include icons, initial view and their columns, additional FolderProperty
> etc.
>
> Therefore we need to implement ItemListener

No. See `MultiBranchProjectFactory.createProject` (`attributes`).

> We should create a "GitHub Organization Folder" plugin

How is this not `github-branch-source`?

>  a convenient aggregator

-1 on new aggregators. A properly written setup wizard should
supersede the concept.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr2k6zWaP%3DN%3D%2B8teU-y5_WD3cU2ADs93bB%2BdTK96fLFA9Q%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Hmm, there must be some disconnect here.

The whole "GitHub Organization Folder" functionality is currently divided into 3 pieces in 3 different plugins that do not depend on each other very much, which takes some time to wrap one's head around.

There's OrganizationFolder in branch-api that defines a collection of "something" as a folder (that maps to the org level folder), then there's GitHubSCMNavigator that brings in GitHub specific binding, t hen there's pipeline-multibranch that defines a collection of branches as a folder (that maps to the rep level folder.)

This split makes it unintuitive as to where the glue polish needs to go; the kind of glue that I wrote down in this, such as initial ListView set up, additional FolderProperties, etc. I was under the assumption that you want to maintain the current trinity, in which case the only place it can go would be another plugin.

But you seem to be saying that they should all go to github-branch-source. That is, that plugin will get such dependencies like pipeline-mutlibranch and branch-api. I have no problem with it, but I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Also, thanks for pointing out MultiBranchProjectFactory.createProject, but WorkflowMultiBranchProjectFactory.doCreateProject doesn't use it at all today, and even if that code is made to understand some attributes, one can only do what this plugin anticipates. And I still need to use something else for customizing OrganizationFolder and WorkflowJob. I think ItemListener gets the job done, but what else do you suggest?


2016-03-01 8:02 GMT-08:00 Jesse Glick <[hidden email]>:
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many of those UI improvements can be done as one time configuration of
> OragnizationFolder, MultiBranchProject, etc after they are created. This
> include icons, initial view and their columns, additional FolderProperty
> etc.
>
> Therefore we need to implement ItemListener

No. See `MultiBranchProjectFactory.createProject` (`attributes`).

> We should create a "GitHub Organization Folder" plugin

How is this not `github-branch-source`?

>  a convenient aggregator

-1 on new aggregators. A properly written setup wizard should
supersede the concept.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4xZmykC49BVSS-1vBk%3D7icD6mNAriTmnLQMkAoNWy4DmQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Jesse Glick-4
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was under the assumption that you want
> to maintain the current trinity

Yes.

> in which case the only place it can go
> would be another plugin.

Well, split across the existing ones, according to API structure.

> But you seem to be saying that they should all go to github-branch-source.
> That is, that plugin will get such dependencies like pipeline-mutlibranch
> and branch-api. I have no problem with it, but I just want to make sure I
> understand you correctly.

No you did not.

> Also, thanks for pointing out MultiBranchProjectFactory.createProject, but
> WorkflowMultiBranchProjectFactory.doCreateProject doesn't use it at all
> today, and even if that code is made to understand some attributes, one can
> only do what this plugin anticipates.

Attributes for various things (folder icon, etc.) would need to be
defined in the API.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr1hU3yxHK5f_jVmLo%3Dn31RuB7265Uuwf8bEc_Cqps%3D%2BCA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.

2016-03-02 11:09 GMT-08:00 Jesse Glick <[hidden email]>:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was under the assumption that you want
> to maintain the current trinity

Yes.

> in which case the only place it can go
> would be another plugin.

Well, split across the existing ones, according to API structure.

> But you seem to be saying that they should all go to github-branch-source.
> That is, that plugin will get such dependencies like pipeline-mutlibranch
> and branch-api. I have no problem with it, but I just want to make sure I
> understand you correctly.

No you did not.

> Also, thanks for pointing out MultiBranchProjectFactory.createProject, but
> WorkflowMultiBranchProjectFactory.doCreateProject doesn't use it at all
> today, and even if that code is made to understand some attributes, one can
> only do what this plugin anticipates.

Attributes for various things (folder icon, etc.) would need to be
defined in the API.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr1hU3yxHK5f_jVmLo%3Dn31RuB7265Uuwf8bEc_Cqps%3D%2BCA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4yNduVwmZ96K3XtEkL-phXZoGPwMqas3Zk_ewO3%2BV94CA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Daniel Beck

On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.

Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

domi@fortysix.ch
Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
/Domi

> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>
> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Manuel Jesús Recena Soto-2
Hello Domi,

GitHub uses: Organization, repository, collaborator, etc..
BitBucket uses: Team, repository, groups, etc..

I'm not sure how to generalize all these services and products.

Additionally, this plugin declares a dependency with
github-branch-source. It seems clearly focused on GitHub.

Regards,

2016-03-05 10:07 GMT+01:00 domi <[hidden email]>:

> Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
> I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
> /Domi
>
>> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>
>>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>>
>> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Manuel Recena Soto
* manuelrecena.com [/blog]
* linkedin.com/in/recena

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-Uod%2BRWb6mX6jaDTfPEts_iz07yTqB1pRNCtOH06kG%3DBQ7w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

domi@fortysix.ch
A team in BB is pretty much the same as an organization in GH. I know the current implementation is based in GH proprietary implementations, but I just wanted to say that this is maybe possible to generalize. E.g. The organization/team is used to distinguish and group repositories on both GH and BB, also both are part of the git repository url. Also both support PRs. So from an outside perspective I don' see why the concepts of this plugins would not work for both (independent of how the are currently implemented).
Also, think about it - at many places in IT we talk about being independent of any vendor stuff. How about being able to switch from BB to GH or anywhere else but not having to change anything in the build pipeline except the repo url?
/Domi

> Am 05.03.2016 um 10:54 schrieb Manuel Jesús Recena Soto <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Domi,
>
> GitHub uses: Organization, repository, collaborator, etc..
> BitBucket uses: Team, repository, groups, etc..
>
> I'm not sure how to generalize all these services and products.
>
> Additionally, this plugin declares a dependency with
> github-branch-source. It seems clearly focused on GitHub.
>
> Regards,
>
> 2016-03-05 10:07 GMT+01:00 domi <[hidden email]>:
>> Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
>> I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
>> /Domi
>>
>>> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>>>
>>> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
> --
> Manuel Recena Soto
> * manuelrecena.com [/blog]
> * linkedin.com/in/recena
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-Uod%2BRWb6mX6jaDTfPEts_iz07yTqB1pRNCtOH06kG%3DBQ7w%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B8F92295-C428-4D5A-9A61-760EDF91319B%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Robert Sandell-2
and IIRC GitLab calls an Organisation/Team for Group and merge requests instead of pull requests, but it's still the same thing in the end.

But the terminology chosen is imho quite important, because teams adopt the terms used by their tools in everyday "shop talk". So I find that it's quite important that there are as many commonalities as possible and Jenkins should try to use the same terms as the scm it is modelling, at least in the UI, or confusion will arise.

/B


On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 2:42 PM, domi <[hidden email]> wrote:
A team in BB is pretty much the same as an organization in GH. I know the current implementation is based in GH proprietary implementations, but I just wanted to say that this is maybe possible to generalize. E.g. The organization/team is used to distinguish and group repositories on both GH and BB, also both are part of the git repository url. Also both support PRs. So from an outside perspective I don' see why the concepts of this plugins would not work for both (independent of how the are currently implemented).
Also, think about it - at many places in IT we talk about being independent of any vendor stuff. How about being able to switch from BB to GH or anywhere else but not having to change anything in the build pipeline except the repo url?
/Domi

> Am 05.03.2016 um 10:54 schrieb Manuel Jesús Recena Soto <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Domi,
>
> GitHub uses: Organization, repository, collaborator, etc..
> BitBucket uses: Team, repository, groups, etc..
>
> I'm not sure how to generalize all these services and products.
>
> Additionally, this plugin declares a dependency with
> github-branch-source. It seems clearly focused on GitHub.
>
> Regards,
>
> 2016-03-05 10:07 GMT+01:00 domi <[hidden email]>:
>> Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
>> I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
>> /Domi
>>
>>> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>>>
>>> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
> --
> Manuel Recena Soto
> * manuelrecena.com [/blog]
> * linkedin.com/in/recena
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-Uod%2BRWb6mX6jaDTfPEts_iz07yTqB1pRNCtOH06kG%3DBQ7w%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B8F92295-C428-4D5A-9A61-760EDF91319B%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees Inc.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CALzHZS0d6BZkKmax%2Bq-yQkdhLjd-QAcyTL1OuGA2cXtL5HvxMw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Manuel Jesús Recena Soto-2
+1 Bobby!

2016-03-07 13:01 GMT+01:00 Robert Sandell <[hidden email]>:

> and IIRC GitLab calls an Organisation/Team for Group and merge requests
> instead of pull requests, but it's still the same thing in the end.
>
> But the terminology chosen is imho quite important, because teams adopt the
> terms used by their tools in everyday "shop talk". So I find that it's quite
> important that there are as many commonalities as possible and Jenkins
> should try to use the same terms as the scm it is modelling, at least in the
> UI, or confusion will arise.
>
> /B
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 2:42 PM, domi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A team in BB is pretty much the same as an organization in GH. I know the
>> current implementation is based in GH proprietary implementations, but I
>> just wanted to say that this is maybe possible to generalize. E.g. The
>> organization/team is used to distinguish and group repositories on both GH
>> and BB, also both are part of the git repository url. Also both support PRs.
>> So from an outside perspective I don' see why the concepts of this plugins
>> would not work for both (independent of how the are currently implemented).
>> Also, think about it - at many places in IT we talk about being
>> independent of any vendor stuff. How about being able to switch from BB to
>> GH or anywhere else but not having to change anything in the build pipeline
>> except the repo url?
>> /Domi
>>
>> > Am 05.03.2016 um 10:54 schrieb Manuel Jesús Recena Soto
>> > <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Hello Domi,
>> >
>> > GitHub uses: Organization, repository, collaborator, etc..
>> > BitBucket uses: Team, repository, groups, etc..
>> >
>> > I'm not sure how to generalize all these services and products.
>> >
>> > Additionally, this plugin declares a dependency with
>> > github-branch-source. It seems clearly focused on GitHub.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > 2016-03-05 10:07 GMT+01:00 domi <[hidden email]>:
>> >> Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what
>> >> I know, most git hosting services have the notion of
>> >> organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
>> >> I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
>> >> /Domi
>> >>
>> >>> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in
>> >>>> here if anyone is interested.
>> >>>
>> >>> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet):
>> >>> https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >>> Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> >>> an email to [hidden email].
>> >>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
>> >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> >> an email to [hidden email].
>> >> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
>> >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Manuel Recena Soto
>> > * manuelrecena.com [/blog]
>> > * linkedin.com/in/recena
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> > an email to [hidden email].
>> > To view this discussion on the web visit
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-Uod%2BRWb6mX6jaDTfPEts_iz07yTqB1pRNCtOH06kG%3DBQ7w%40mail.gmail.com.
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [hidden email].
>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B8F92295-C428-4D5A-9A61-760EDF91319B%40fortysix.ch.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Robert Sandell
> Software Engineer
> CloudBees Inc.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CALzHZS0d6BZkKmax%2Bq-yQkdhLjd-QAcyTL1OuGA2cXtL5HvxMw%40mail.gmail.com.
>
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Manuel Recena Soto
* manuelrecena.com [/blog]
* linkedin.com/in/recena

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-UodB4MwNzDaR8KC0hOz5r%2BF1W-VHactLfDXw7XES1J7RbQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

domi@fortysix.ch
In reply to this post by Robert Sandell-2
I fully agree, but that in my opinion just means we need a generalisation with specific implementations for each of the supported SCM host implementations.
…and some might actually just change the labels…
The only thin I wanted to bring a cross, is that everyone is only talking about GH, but there are others on the marked too and they have the exact same concept - so if thing like this get implemented, then it would be wise to have some kind of abstraction.
my 2cents…
/Domi



On 07 Mar 2016, at 13:01, Robert Sandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

and IIRC GitLab calls an Organisation/Team for Group and merge requests instead of pull requests, but it's still the same thing in the end.

But the terminology chosen is imho quite important, because teams adopt the terms used by their tools in everyday "shop talk". So I find that it's quite important that there are as many commonalities as possible and Jenkins should try to use the same terms as the scm it is modelling, at least in the UI, or confusion will arise.

/B


On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 2:42 PM, domi <[hidden email]> wrote:
A team in BB is pretty much the same as an organization in GH. I know the current implementation is based in GH proprietary implementations, but I just wanted to say that this is maybe possible to generalize. E.g. The organization/team is used to distinguish and group repositories on both GH and BB, also both are part of the git repository url. Also both support PRs. So from an outside perspective I don' see why the concepts of this plugins would not work for both (independent of how the are currently implemented).
Also, think about it - at many places in IT we talk about being independent of any vendor stuff. How about being able to switch from BB to GH or anywhere else but not having to change anything in the build pipeline except the repo url?
/Domi

> Am 05.03.2016 um 10:54 schrieb Manuel Jesús Recena Soto <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Domi,
>
> GitHub uses: Organization, repository, collaborator, etc..
> BitBucket uses: Team, repository, groups, etc..
>
> I'm not sure how to generalize all these services and products.
>
> Additionally, this plugin declares a dependency with
> github-branch-source. It seems clearly focused on GitHub.
>
> Regards,
>
> 2016-03-05 10:07 GMT+01:00 domi <[hidden email]>:
>> Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
>> I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
>> /Domi
>>
>>> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>
>>>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>>>
>>> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>
> --
> Manuel Recena Soto
> * manuelrecena.com [/blog]
> * linkedin.com/in/recena
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CABa-Uod%2BRWb6mX6jaDTfPEts_iz07yTqB1pRNCtOH06kG%3DBQ7w%40mail.gmail.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B8F92295-C428-4D5A-9A61-760EDF91319B%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees Inc.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CALzHZS0d6BZkKmax%2Bq-yQkdhLjd-QAcyTL1OuGA2cXtL5HvxMw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/BEFF7812-0AF6-4440-B999-056AD4B26819%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Daniel Beck

On 07.03.2016, at 14:02, domi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it would be wise to have some kind of abstraction.

We have the Pronoun system in Jenkins for (Item, Project, Job, …), something similar here would probably take care of the UI labels.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/C9CA7B45-9506-4DAE-BBC6-14D8003BBDAA%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Jesse Glick-4
In reply to this post by domi@fortysix.ch
On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM, domi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> …and some might actually just change the labels…

For example

https://github.com/jenkinsci/branch-api-plugin/blob/60c05e72532cd00e964090c82d01f86b977e9a33/src/main/java/jenkins/branch/MultiBranchProject.java#L618-L621

As Daniel pointed out, we have an existing `AlternativeUiTextProvider`
API, and it is not hard to imagine similar pluggability whereby an SCM
source could indicate the kind of term it prefers to be used for
various repositories or branches it produces, etc.

> if thing like this get implemented, then it would be wise
> to have some kind of abstraction.

That was the gist of my comment in the PR. That said, we need some
polish quickly for the one source which is available in an OSS plugin
today, GitHub.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr080iPywCRT4%2B8LD6ZbdJ-6YmRwxtyZSUX0pPADRTs6aA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
In reply to this post by domi@fortysix.ch
Once somebody attempts to implement another one, then that effort should help drive identifying reusable pieces. I'd love to see that happen. I think Domi is probably right that there's some opportunities for more reuse, and I also agree with Bobby/Manuel that users should see the terminologies specific to their services. Fortunately, none of these code is API, so it's relatively easy to move things around later.

OTOH, it's likely that BitBucket Org Folder plugin maintainer won't care about GH Org Folder and vice versa, so if the code is separate, they will be able to make decisions on their own and innovate faster, whereas reuse would require constant collaboration which hinders velocity of development...


2016-03-05 1:07 GMT-08:00 domi <[hidden email]>:
Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
/Domi

> Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is in here if anyone is interested.
>
> Correct link (not much to look at on master yet): https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B99A9F05-F3FA-4550-88AA-069E291DA7E6%40beckweb.net.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7D293532-AB0D-4335-BC09-0E14F3093A3D%40fortysix.ch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4xFKZZ6zV2MB%2BWJMzZMMHOd%3DwBU%2BukCkCAmrt_XOrxnrw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Christopher Orr
On 07/03/16 18:31, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> Once somebody attempts to implement another one, then that effort should
> help drive identifying reusable pieces. I'd love to see that happen. I
> think Domi is probably right that there's some opportunities for more
> reuse, and I also agree with Bobby/Manuel that users should see the
> terminologies specific to their services. Fortunately, none of these
> code is API, so it's relatively easy to move things around later.
>
> OTOH, it's likely that BitBucket Org Folder plugin maintainer won't care
> about GH Org Folder and vice versa, so if the code is separate, they
> will be able to make decisions on their own and innovate faster, whereas
> reuse would require constant collaboration which hinders velocity of
> development...

You say "innovate faster", I say "create a horrible mess of inconsistent
and duplicated UIs, which is a large part of why people consider Jenkins
to be a disaster in terms of user experience".

e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system
config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be
recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png


Having had to maintain a Jenkins instance where we regularly used both
GitHub and BitBucket, I wouldn't like to imagine what the UI will look
like if more GitHub and BitBucket plugins like this get created, with
even the same or less amount of reusability than there is now.


I do think it's probably fair enough to let plugin authors do whatever
they want for many use cases, but for the really commonly used stuff —
especially SCMs — there ought to be a lot more effort put into the user
experience, rather than just the developers' experience.

Regards,
Chris


> 2016-03-05 1:07 GMT-08:00 domi <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From
>     what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of
>     organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
>     I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
>     /Domi
>
>      > Am 05.03.2016 um 01:12 schrieb Daniel Beck <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>      >
>      >
>      >> On 05.03.2016, at 00:45, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      >>
>      >> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is
>     in here if anyone is interested.
>      >
>      > Correct link (not much to look at on master yet):
>     https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/56DE251F.6000903%40orr.me.uk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator


2016-03-07 17:04 GMT-08:00 Christopher Orr <[hidden email]>:
On 07/03/16 18:31, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
Once somebody attempts to implement another one, then that effort should
help drive identifying reusable pieces. I'd love to see that happen. I
think Domi is probably right that there's some opportunities for more
reuse, and I also agree with Bobby/Manuel that users should see the
terminologies specific to their services. Fortunately, none of these
code is API, so it's relatively easy to move things around later.

OTOH, it's likely that BitBucket Org Folder plugin maintainer won't care
about GH Org Folder and vice versa, so if the code is separate, they
will be able to make decisions on their own and innovate faster, whereas
reuse would require constant collaboration which hinders velocity of
development...

You say "innovate faster", I say "create a horrible mess of inconsistent and duplicated UIs, which is a large part of why people consider Jenkins to be a disaster in terms of user experience".

The situation you cite about GitHub below is a real one and we should fix it! In a way this is one of the motivations behind creating the recommended set of plugins, which makes us own these problems within the recommended set.

But does the same problem apply to GitHub Org Folder vs BitBucket Org Folder? Those two plugins are unlikely to share any configuration.

e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png


Having had to maintain a Jenkins instance where we regularly used both GitHub and BitBucket, I wouldn't like to imagine what the UI will look like if more GitHub and BitBucket plugins like this get created, with even the same or less amount of reusability than there is now.
 
I do think it's probably fair enough to let plugin authors do whatever they want for many use cases, but for the really commonly used stuff — especially SCMs — there ought to be a lot more effort put into the user experience, rather than just the developers' experience.

OK, point taken. 



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4yk9fepgwZroUcg4ynX2k8LRZwiQQqQmZcaQsedEO39%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator


2016-03-07 18:07 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:
e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png


I looked at the fresh install and GitHub Pull Request Builder isn't a part of the recommended list of plugins, so while the problem is still there, I feel a little better.

I'm still not sure where "GitHub Enterprise Servers" configuration is coming from...


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4y1mz83gqqVhRzpxk4O5zkhzu6e8RrxrMNtqWKLrejMpQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Oh no, it's coming from GitHub Branch Source plugin!

2016-03-07 18:40 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:


2016-03-07 18:07 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:
e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png


I looked at the fresh install and GitHub Pull Request Builder isn't a part of the recommended list of plugins, so while the problem is still there, I feel a little better.

I'm still not sure where "GitHub Enterprise Servers" configuration is coming from...


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4xjZruorU318u70gfeppU%3DRkH6g2TkRmqj-v8ypk%3De9HA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitHub Organization Folder polish

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Patrick told me that https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33228 discusses this very issue.

2016-03-07 18:58 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:
Oh no, it's coming from GitHub Branch Source plugin!

2016-03-07 18:40 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:


2016-03-07 18:07 GMT-08:00 Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]>:
e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png


I looked at the fresh install and GitHub Pull Request Builder isn't a part of the recommended list of plugins, so while the problem is still there, I feel a little better.

I'm still not sure where "GitHub Enterprise Servers" configuration is coming from...


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4z4dmuE53Of2b2wzTFEfjVZL2fehBaJ%3DZfyZyeVX86ktw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
12