Hudson project licensing

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hudson project licensing

Alex Watts-2
Hi there.
 
I recently developed a plugin for Hudson and am interested in sharing it by committing it to the project. However,I have a couple of questions about the project licensing arrangements.
 
The requirements for the plugin I have developed are similar to that of another plugin that I found in the CVS repository.
Whilst learing about the plugin architecture and deciding how to implement I used the other plugin as a sort of 'example' or 'template'.
You might go as far as to say that I re-engineered the other plugin to create a new plugin with different functionality. The 2 Java classes in question look pretty much the same as the original plugin except for the critical methods that carry out the real work.
 
Not being familiar with open source licensing arrangements I don't know whether or not this is something that I am allowed to do?
 
Could someone please give me a heads up on the specifics of the licensing in this area?
 
Thanks,
 
Alex Watts


Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Stephen Connolly-2
IANAL,

Most (if not all) plugins in Hudson are licensed under the MIT license.

MIT wrote
The MIT License

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.
Which basically means, you must retain the copyright attributions and the MIT license.

I do not see any other restrictions in the MIT license. (But I could be wrong)

-Stephen

Alex Watts-2 wrote
Hi there.
   
  I recently developed a plugin for Hudson and am interested in sharing it by committing it to the project. However,I have a couple of questions about the project licensing arrangements.
   
  The requirements for the plugin I have developed are similar to that of another plugin that I found in the CVS repository.
  Whilst learing about the plugin architecture and deciding how to implement I used the other plugin as a sort of 'example' or 'template'.
  You might go as far as to say that I re-engineered the other plugin to create a new plugin with different functionality. The 2 Java classes in question look pretty much the same as the original plugin except for the critical methods that carry out the real work.
   
  Not being familiar with open source licensing arrangements I don't know whether or not this is something that I am allowed to do?
   
  Could someone please give me a heads up on the specifics of the licensing in this area?
   
  Thanks,
   
  Alex Watts

       
---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your freeaccount today.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
In reply to this post by Alex Watts-2
Alex Watts wrote:
> Not being familiar with open source licensing arrangements I don't know
> whether or not this is something that I am allowed to do?

IANAL, either, but I usually try to err on the safe side. For example,
if I use another MIT licensed code as a template and left non-trivial
part of its code, I'll leave the original copyright statement.

>   Could someone please give me a heads up on the specifics of the licensing in this area?

You should first find out what license the said plugin uses.


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Alex Watts-2
In reply to this post by Stephen Connolly-2
Thanks for that Stephan.
 
I hadn't realised that plugins were separately licensed. I had imagined that once added to the hudson project they were somehow absorbed into the same licensing arrangement.
 
I have had a look at some of the other plugins and I can find ones that do contain documentation as comments in the code. These comments seem to indicate the plugins are published under the MIT license you mention.
 
I am assuming that the way to find the licensing arrangements for a plugin is to look within the source code rather than some alternative method.
 
Unfortunately, the plugin I am interested in doesn't seem to have any documentation. The only thing I can see is a copyright notice along with the name of the author.
 
This might sound silly but does that mean I can't copy it :)
 
Regards,
 
Alex Watts

Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]> wrote:

IANAL,

Most (if not all) plugins in Hudson are licensed under the MIT license.


MIT wrote:

>
> The MIT License
>
> Copyright (c)
>
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
> copy
> of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to
> deal
> in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
> rights
> to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
> copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
> furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>
> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
> all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
> IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
> THE
> AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
> LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
> FROM,
> OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
> THE SOFTWARE.
>

Which basically means, you must retain the copyright attributions and the
MIT license.

I do not see any other restrictions in the MIT license. (But I could be
wrong)

-Stephen


Alex Watts-2 wrote:

>
> Hi there.
>
> I recently developed a plugin for Hudson and am interested in sharing it
> by committing it to the project. However,I have a couple of questions
> about the project licensing arrangements.
>
> The requirements for the plugin I have developed are similar to that of
> another plugin that I found in the CVS repository.
> Whilst learing about the plugin architecture and deciding how to
> implement I used the other plugin as a sort of 'example' or 'template'.
> You might go as far as to say that I re-engineered the other plugin to
> create a new plugin with different functionality. The 2 Java classes in
> question look pretty much the same as the original plugin except for the
> critical methods that carry out the real work.
>
> Not being familiar with open source licensing arrangements I don't know
> whether or not this is something that I am allowed to do?
>
> Could someone please give me a heads up on the specifics of the
> licensing in this area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex Watts
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign
> up for your freeaccount today.
>

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Hudson-project-licensing-tf4200027.html#a11945843
Sent from the Hudson users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Alex Watts wrote:
>   Unfortunately, the plugin I am interested in doesn't seem to have any
> documentation. The only thing I can see is a copyright notice along with
> the name of the author.

You should just contact the author and get him to update the license in
POM. I for one forget to do it all the time.


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Alex Watts-2
I couldn't manage to get hold of the developer of the plugin.
It's the IRCBot plugin and the developer's java.net id is [hidden email].
 
Does anyone here know an alternative email?

Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex Watts wrote:
> Unfortunately, the plugin I am interested in doesn't seem to have any
> documentation. The only thing I can see is a copyright notice along with
> the name of the author.

You should just contact the author and get him to update the license in
POM. I for one forget to do it all the time.


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems [hidden email]


For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this month.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hudson project licensing

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator

He sent e-mail to this list on late July, so I'm pretty sure he's
around. Let me write him an e-mail.

Alex Watts wrote:

> I couldn't manage to get hold of the developer of the plugin.
>   It's the IRCBot plugin and the developer's java.net id is [hidden email].
>    
>   Does anyone here know an alternative email?
>
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   Alex Watts wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the plugin I am interested in doesn't seem to have any
>> documentation. The only thing I can see is a copyright notice along with
>> the name of the author.
>
> You should just contact the author and get him to update the license in
> POM. I for one forget to do it all the time.


--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Loading...