Quantcast

Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

John Hinnegan
We recently set up a Jenkins server on OS X.  We had been using Jenkins prior to this in the cloud, but decided it was worth it to just buy a little machine to do our builds for us. Now our Jenkins is going unresponsive -- pretty consistently after 12-18 hours with only a couple of days of observations. I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?

PS. The worst part of this is that the process doesn't die, it just stops answering requests. If it would actually die, the the process manager would restart it (which would be more acceptable)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

jieryn
Greetings,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM, John Hinnegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Jenkins+is+hanging

-Jesse

--
There are 10 types of people in this world, those
that can read binary and those that can not.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

John Hinnegan
Thanks,

I'll wait for the next hang and get some more details



On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jesse Farinacci <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM, John Hinnegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Jenkins+is+hanging

-Jesse

--
There are 10 types of people in this world, those
that can read binary and those that can not.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

Sami Tikka
In reply to this post by John Hinnegan
Also, check the system log for exceptions. You have probably run out of memory either in heap or in permgen pool. The system log can be viewed easiest by running Console.app in /Applications/Utilities.

-- Sami

John Hinnegan <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 6.3.2012 kello 22.17:

> We recently set up a Jenkins server on OS X.  We had been using Jenkins prior to this in the cloud, but decided it was worth it to just buy a little machine to do our builds for us. Now our Jenkins is going unresponsive -- pretty consistently after 12-18 hours with only a couple of days of observations. I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?
>
> PS. The worst part of this is that the process doesn't die, it just stops answering requests. If it would actually die, the the process manager would restart it (which would be more acceptable)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

Didier Durand
Hi,

I would also suggest to use the Monitoring plugin to easily diagnose
memory issues in your jvm

At https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Monitoring

regards

didier

On Mar 7, 12:27 am, Sami Tikka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, check the system log for exceptions. You have probably run out of memory either in heap or in permgen pool. The system log can be viewed easiest by running Console.app in /Applications/Utilities.
>
> -- Sami
>
> John Hinnegan <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 6.3.2012 kello 22.17:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > We recently set up a Jenkins server on OS X.  We had been using Jenkins prior to this in the cloud, but decided it was worth it to just buy a little machine to do our builds for us. Now our Jenkins is going unresponsive -- pretty consistently after 12-18 hours with only a couple of days of observations. I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?
>
> > PS. The worst part of this is that the process doesn't die, it just stops answering requests. If it would actually die, the the process manager would restart it (which would be more acceptable)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Jenkins dying regularly -- how to diagnose

Jerome Lacoste-3
In reply to this post by John Hinnegan
On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:17:57 PM UTC+1, John Hinnegan wrote:
We recently set up a Jenkins server on OS X.  We had been using Jenkins prior to this in the cloud, but decided it was worth it to just buy a little machine to do our builds for us. Now our Jenkins is going unresponsive -- pretty consistently after 12-18 hours with only a couple of days of observations. I don't know what the issue is, how can I diagnose?

PS. The worst part of this is that the process doesn't die, it just stops answering requests. If it would actually die, the the process manager would restart it (which would be more acceptable)

I had a similar issue that was caused by OutOfMemoryError due to insufficiant permGen space.

I just commited https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/commit/fb9f0679c7c75ea1e6c85bbe4f663896714bf63e which will allow you to configure this properly. If that is your problem you might want to modify:


to contain that new line and configure the launch daemon appropriately using the defaults command. E.g.

   defaults write /Library/Preferences/org.jenkins-ci permGen 128M

Cheers,

Jerome
Loading...