Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

David Villasmil
Hello, 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

YML_FILES="eks/"
YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"
DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"
IMAGE_NAME="api-server"
cd $DOCKER_PATH
git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE
docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 
docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 
cd $YML_FILES
kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

David


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/85285e93-26cf-4a98-bd3a-ee8eaf3368ben%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

Jérôme Godbout

Might not be directly related but some idea:

 

Is the git repository repos inside the known host file for ssh access? It might need

ssh-keygen -R “MyDomain.com” -f “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

ssh-keygen -t rsa “MyDomain.com” >> “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

 

Might help to avoid host confirmation in some case. Also make sure you have the proper ssh key available to the user, you can drop whoami and ssh-add list of key into your provider. This is issues I could foresee related to SSH git. Maybe something else.

 


une compagnie 

RAPPROCHEZ LA DISTANCE

Jérôme Godbout
Développeur Logiciel Sénior / 
Senior Software Developer

p: +1 (418) 800-1073 ext.:109

amotus.ca
statum-iot.com

   

COVID-19 : we are glad to inform you that Amotus are up and running with limited impact on our performance. We will keep you informed of any changes as they occur.

COVID-19 : nous sommes fiers d’informer nos collaborateurs que Amotus opèrent adéquatement et que l’impact sur notre productivité est minimisé. Nous vous tiendrons au courant de tout changement.

 

From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of David Villasmil
Sent: November 17, 2020 9:26 AM
To: Jenkins Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

 

Hello, 

 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

 

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

 

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

 

YML_FILES="eks/"

YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"

DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"

IMAGE_NAME="api-server"

cd $DOCKER_PATH

git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE

docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 

docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 

cd $YML_FILES

kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

 

David

 

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/85285e93-26cf-4a98-bd3a-ee8eaf3368ben%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/QB1PR01MB384460F4FDABDD4D38B388E0CDE20%40QB1PR01MB3844.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

David Villasmil
Thanks Jerome.

Actually I’m ssh’ing into the build box as root. And if I manually do it as root, it works properly.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 14:39, Jérôme Godbout <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might not be directly related but some idea:

 

Is the git repository repos inside the known host file for ssh access? It might need

ssh-keygen -R “MyDomain.com” -f “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

ssh-keygen -t rsa “MyDomain.com” >> “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

 

Might help to avoid host confirmation in some case. Also make sure you have the proper ssh key available to the user, you can drop whoami and ssh-add list of key into your provider. This is issues I could foresee related to SSH git. Maybe something else.

 


une compagnie 

RAPPROCHEZ LA DISTANCE

Jérôme Godbout
Développeur Logiciel Sénior / 
Senior Software Developer

p: +1 (418) 800-1073 ext.:109

amotus.ca
statum-iot.com

   

COVID-19 : we are glad to inform you that Amotus are up and running with limited impact on our performance. We will keep you informed of any changes as they occur.

COVID-19 : nous sommes fiers d’informer nos collaborateurs que Amotus opèrent adéquatement et que l’impact sur notre productivité est minimisé. Nous vous tiendrons au courant de tout changement.

 

From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of David Villasmil
Sent: November 17, 2020 9:26 AM
To: Jenkins Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

 

Hello, 

 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

 

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

 

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

 

YML_FILES="eks/"

YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"

DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"

IMAGE_NAME="api-server"

cd $DOCKER_PATH

git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE

docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 

docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 

cd $YML_FILES

kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

 

David

 

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/85285e93-26cf-4a98-bd3a-ee8eaf3368ben%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-users/IH0D0_ZFdhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/QB1PR01MB384460F4FDABDD4D38B388E0CDE20%40QB1PR01MB3844.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
--
DVG

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAPTi0gqnO%2BdstBtdh10c0SN8zMEuKrCau5Ut%2Bg58A595EYTmPA%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

chencho m-a
Are you running jenkins as root? 



On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:41 PM David Villasmil Govea <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Jerome.

Actually I’m ssh’ing into the build box as root. And if I manually do it as root, it works properly.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 14:39, Jérôme Godbout <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might not be directly related but some idea:

 

Is the git repository repos inside the known host file for ssh access? It might need

ssh-keygen -R “MyDomain.com” -f “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

ssh-keygen -t rsa “MyDomain.com” >> “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

 

Might help to avoid host confirmation in some case. Also make sure you have the proper ssh key available to the user, you can drop whoami and ssh-add list of key into your provider. This is issues I could foresee related to SSH git. Maybe something else.

 


une compagnie 

RAPPROCHEZ LA DISTANCE

Jérôme Godbout
Développeur Logiciel Sénior / 
Senior Software Developer

p: +1 (418) 800-1073 ext.:109

amotus.ca
statum-iot.com

   

COVID-19 : we are glad to inform you that Amotus are up and running with limited impact on our performance. We will keep you informed of any changes as they occur.

COVID-19 : nous sommes fiers d’informer nos collaborateurs que Amotus opèrent adéquatement et que l’impact sur notre productivité est minimisé. Nous vous tiendrons au courant de tout changement.

 

From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of David Villasmil
Sent: November 17, 2020 9:26 AM
To: Jenkins Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

 

Hello, 

 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

 

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

 

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

 

YML_FILES="eks/"

YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"

DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"

IMAGE_NAME="api-server"

cd $DOCKER_PATH

git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE

docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 

docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 

cd $YML_FILES

kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

 

David

 

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/85285e93-26cf-4a98-bd3a-ee8eaf3368ben%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-users/IH0D0_ZFdhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/QB1PR01MB384460F4FDABDD4D38B388E0CDE20%40QB1PR01MB3844.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
--
DVG

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAPTi0gqnO%2BdstBtdh10c0SN8zMEuKrCau5Ut%2Bg58A595EYTmPA%40mail.gmail.com.


--

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAJKjJbKL2vLvpUKo_tq6gAJqGrJs2GSz-AV1XbfcveCERZ%3Dx5g%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

Björn Pedersen
In reply to this post by David Villasmil
Hi,

this seems like you are mis-using git here. For deploy, checkout into a clean workspace and do the build. What happens in your case is, that the pull creates a merge commit ( you want fast-forwards only for automated updates in most cases), so thats why git  wants a merge commit message. ( you could get around by specifiing  a message, but I would advise against it.)

Björn

[hidden email] schrieb am Dienstag, 17. November 2020 um 15:26:14 UTC+1:
Hello, 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

YML_FILES="eks/"
YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"
DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"
IMAGE_NAME="api-server"
cd $DOCKER_PATH
git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE
docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 
docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 
cd $YML_FILES
kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

David


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/b08ac8f5-ee9f-4f23-8a5c-f489db47ab23n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

David Villasmil
In reply to this post by chencho m-a
No, I’m CONNECTING to the build box as root.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 14:50, chencho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you running jenkins as root? 



On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:41 PM David Villasmil Govea <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Jerome.

Actually I’m ssh’ing into the build box as root. And if I manually do it as root, it works properly.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 14:39, Jérôme Godbout <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might not be directly related but some idea:

 

Is the git repository repos inside the known host file for ssh access? It might need

ssh-keygen -R “MyDomain.com” -f “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

ssh-keygen -t rsa “MyDomain.com” >> “~/.ssh/known_hosts”

 

Might help to avoid host confirmation in some case. Also make sure you have the proper ssh key available to the user, you can drop whoami and ssh-add list of key into your provider. This is issues I could foresee related to SSH git. Maybe something else.

 


une compagnie 

RAPPROCHEZ LA DISTANCE

Jérôme Godbout
Développeur Logiciel Sénior / 
Senior Software Developer

p: +1 (418) 800-1073 ext.:109

amotus.ca
statum-iot.com

   

COVID-19 : we are glad to inform you that Amotus are up and running with limited impact on our performance. We will keep you informed of any changes as they occur.

COVID-19 : nous sommes fiers d’informer nos collaborateurs que Amotus opèrent adéquatement et que l’impact sur notre productivité est minimisé. Nous vous tiendrons au courant de tout changement.

 

From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of David Villasmil
Sent: November 17, 2020 9:26 AM
To: Jenkins Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

 

Hello, 

 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

 

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

 

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

 

YML_FILES="eks/"

YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"

DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"

IMAGE_NAME="api-server"

cd $DOCKER_PATH

git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE

docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 

docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 

cd $YML_FILES

kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

 

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

 

David

 

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/85285e93-26cf-4a98-bd3a-ee8eaf3368ben%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-users/IH0D0_ZFdhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/QB1PR01MB384460F4FDABDD4D38B388E0CDE20%40QB1PR01MB3844.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
--
DVG

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].


--

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-users/IH0D0_ZFdhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAJKjJbKL2vLvpUKo_tq6gAJqGrJs2GSz-AV1XbfcveCERZ%3Dx5g%40mail.gmail.com.
--
DVG

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAPTi0gprKMw4WFyJCY4BmukmR%2BpC%3DyTFXh4Pw04CnmWbjNoZWg%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Job stuck on "git pull --no-edit"

David Villasmil
In reply to this post by Björn Pedersen
Thanks for replying.
I understand that “—no-edit” would prevent git from asking for a commit message. And indeed this is the case if I do it manually.

But I do get your point about working in a clean environment... I think I’ll go for that, don’t want anti-patterns happening here.

Thanks!

David

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 15:26, 'Björn Pedersen' via Jenkins Users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

this seems like you are mis-using git here. For deploy, checkout into a clean workspace and do the build. What happens in your case is, that the pull creates a merge commit ( you want fast-forwards only for automated updates in most cases), so thats why git  wants a merge commit message. ( you could get around by specifiing  a message, but I would advise against it.)

Björn

[hidden email] schrieb am Dienstag, 17. November 2020 um 15:26:14 UTC+1:
Hello, 

I have the following simple script. I just want to connect via ssh to my build server, "git pull" and just build the docker and push it to the registry.

(If i don't include the "git pull --no-edit", it works fine)

I just want to do "git pull". But when there are changed being pulled, git gives me a "commit message" editor, and won't let me continue until i enter something.This blocks me from automatically deploying, so i'm trying with "--no-edit" but the deployment gets stuck there for some reason (i i do it manually, works properly)

YML_FILES="eks/"
YML_PATH="infra-api-server-deployment.yaml"
DOCKER_PATH="/api-server"
IMAGE_NAME="api-server"
cd $DOCKER_PATH
git pull --no-edit       <---- STUCK HERE
docker build -t $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER . 
docker push $IMAGE_NAME:$NEW_VER 
cd $YML_FILES
kubectl apply -f $YML_PATH

Help would be greatly appreciated! 

David


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jenkinsci-users/IH0D0_ZFdhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/b08ac8f5-ee9f-4f23-8a5c-f489db47ab23n%40googlegroups.com.
--
DVG

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAPTi0gp%2BvYMLcjn%3DN%2BChonUjHAa%3DnHjDV%3DE1KPYSNDuxL6Hduw%40mail.gmail.com.