Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Oleg Nenashev
Hi all,

At some point there was a JRebel model added to Stapler and the Jenkins core. It was used to support hot reloading of classes when developing Jenkins in some conditions: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Developing+with+JRebel .

This flow has not been used for a long time. It is unlikely that it can operate properly anymore, especially with Java 11. I suggest removing the dependency on JRebel to reduce the Jenkins core size and to prevent potential transitive dependency issues and to slightly reduce the jenkins core's footprint. What do you think?

P.S: If someone wants to recover the JRebel support and demonstrate it, it might be even better than just removing the component.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCVODHF54xk-nV29QZ8npMzmLZe6Y14HznvW9yTR7aqLw%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Mark Waite-2
That seems reasonable to me.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM Oleg Nenashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

At some point there was a JRebel model added to Stapler and the Jenkins core. It was used to support hot reloading of classes when developing Jenkins in some conditions: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Developing+with+JRebel .

This flow has not been used for a long time. It is unlikely that it can operate properly anymore, especially with Java 11. I suggest removing the dependency on JRebel to reduce the Jenkins core size and to prevent potential transitive dependency issues and to slightly reduce the jenkins core's footprint. What do you think?

P.S: If someone wants to recover the JRebel support and demonstrate it, it might be even better than just removing the component.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCVODHF54xk-nV29QZ8npMzmLZe6Y14HznvW9yTR7aqLw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAO49JtH9T4AQa80_zdTxXgDzwBjbkDdijGiL1vA0BnwWxuoonA%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Jesse Glick-4
In reply to this post by Oleg Nenashev
Makes sense. If and when somebody wants to use this, they can figure
out how to freshen it up.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr20dyk5os5Cc8FktM%2BU4vp5jV27Nj7HKGPCm5cNtunnBw%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Oleg Nenashev
Same question about https://github.com/stapler/stapler-adjunct-zeroclipboard . It is a part of the Jenkins core API and it "provides an easy way to copy text to the clipboard using an invisible Adobe Flash movie and a JavaScript interface". Yes, with flash...  Last release of this Stapler module was in 2014, last release of the upstream https://github.com/zeroclipboard/zeroclipboard was in 2017. 

I was unable to find any real usages of https://github.com/stapler/stapler-adjunct-zeroclipboard/blob/master/src/main/resources/org/kohsuke/stapler/zeroclipboard.jelly in the Jenkins core and plugins

With Adobe Flash being deprecated and EoLed, maybe we should also remove this library from the core

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 8:28:11 PM UTC+1 Jesse Glick wrote:
Makes sense. If and when somebody wants to use this, they can figure
out how to freshen it up.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6f6b4489-5547-4538-b035-db47da81d347n%40googlegroups.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Daniel Beck-2

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 5:44 PM Oleg Nenashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same question about https://github.com/stapler/stapler-adjunct-zeroclipboard . It is a part of the Jenkins core API and it "provides an easy way to copy text to the clipboard using an invisible Adobe Flash movie and a JavaScript interface". Yes, with flash...  Last release of this Stapler module was in 2014, last release of the upstream https://github.com/zeroclipboard/zeroclipboard was in 2017. 


With Adobe Flash being deprecated and EoLed, maybe we should also remove this library from the core


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMo7PtJmN9K2%2B%2BVB_FNa89nGvwshr7cXzSVTRBWP03eiC1YXFQ%40mail.gmail.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Proposal: Excluding JRebel support from the Jenkins core (JENKINS-64037)

Tim Jacomb
In reply to this post by Oleg Nenashev
Bin it

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 16:44, Oleg Nenashev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same question about https://github.com/stapler/stapler-adjunct-zeroclipboard . It is a part of the Jenkins core API and it "provides an easy way to copy text to the clipboard using an invisible Adobe Flash movie and a JavaScript interface". Yes, with flash...  Last release of this Stapler module was in 2014, last release of the upstream https://github.com/zeroclipboard/zeroclipboard was in 2017. 


With Adobe Flash being deprecated and EoLed, maybe we should also remove this library from the core

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 8:28:11 PM UTC+1 Jesse Glick wrote:
Makes sense. If and when somebody wants to use this, they can figure
out how to freshen it up.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/6f6b4489-5547-4538-b035-db47da81d347n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAH-3Bid_%2BG1BPjs5OJDL9A4_qKbp1eAA9vWv8kqRNQi5kwqOAg%40mail.gmail.com.