Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Olblak-2
Hello,

> These hooks are used to send emails to IRC on #jenkins-commits
Only four people are in that channel so I really wonder if there is a need for it

> These hooks are used to send emails to jenkins-commits mailing list

I don't use it and I wonder the added value over the github notifications, but maybe the dev community has more input on this, so I add the dev mailing list on the loop

Personally I would just remove it



---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---




On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, at 5:55 AM, Slide wrote:
Recently, while trying to do some hosting stuff. We started getting errors when the ircbot tries to setup hooks for email and irc for commits. The GitHub Services that were being used for this are being deprecated [1]. This means that we can't install services on new repos in the jenkinsci organization. These hooks are used to send emails to IRC on #jenkins-commits and the jenkins-commits mailing list. One question is are these two things needed/desired? If not, we can remove the hook setup completely from the bot. If they are needed/desired, then we need to look at implementing one or more GitHub Apps [2] to handle the notifications for these two endpoints. Let me know what you think.

Alex


_______________________________________________
Jenkins-infra mailing list

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/1538729180.2585122.1531632328.11D0EAEA%40webmail.messagingengine.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Daniel Beck

> On 5. Oct 2018, at 10:46, Olblak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Only four people are in that channel so I really wonder if there is a need for it
>

Ideally we will have at least one service we can use to understand what happened to Git repos, when. I don't need it often, but when I do, there are no alternatives to the best of my knowledge (git commit ≠ git push).

In the mean time, we should remove the services from the bot so we remain able to act.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/5D726B9A-2EFE-4B63-B1EA-37E2FD073E1B%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

slide
Ok, I opened https://github.com/jenkins-infra/ircbot/pull/62 to disable service creation for new repos for now.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 2:32 AM Daniel Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5. Oct 2018, at 10:46, Olblak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Only four people are in that channel so I really wonder if there is a need for it
>

Ideally we will have at least one service we can use to understand what happened to Git repos, when. I don't need it often, but when I do, there are no alternatives to the best of my knowledge (git commit ≠ git push).

In the mean time, we should remove the services from the bot so we remain able to act.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/5D726B9A-2EFE-4B63-B1EA-37E2FD073E1B%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPiUgVeMFhRhXB1hx7rj1A77bMUJPw%2BQKpoY-pfP5Cz7F6YoXg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Jesse Glick-4
In reply to this post by Daniel Beck
On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 5:32 AM Daniel Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> one service we can use to understand what happened to Git repos

octobox.io? Or what are you using this for? If you are collecting
event logs from @jenkinsci for forensic purposes or whatever, maybe it
would be better to write a dedicated service that just stores these in
some logging service.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr0gG1hGsGn-5fVA4qzTRToY8ieao7536R5jJ%2BsmWeoyOw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Daniel Beck


> On 5. Oct 2018, at 16:34, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you are collecting event logs from @jenkinsci for forensic purposes or whatever

Basically this.

I used the existing services for this, because they existed. Not opposed to just dumping events corresponding to emails/IRC messages somewhere, but that doesn't exist today.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/58993B9D-9B98-4E93-89C7-CD470B6B2E58%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Olblak-2
> I used the existing services for this, because they existed. Not opposed
> to just dumping events corresponding to emails/IRC messages somewhere,
> but that doesn't exist today.

If you want to create dashboard to visualize commits informattion, you can do that with datadog
-> https://docs.datadoghq.com/integrations/git/

---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, at 6:14 PM, Daniel Beck wrote:

>
>
> > On 5. Oct 2018, at 16:34, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > If you are collecting event logs from @jenkinsci for forensic purposes or whatever
>
> Basically this.
>
> I used the existing services for this, because they existed. Not opposed
> to just dumping events corresponding to emails/IRC messages somewhere,
> but that doesn't exist today.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/58993B9D-9B98-4E93-89C7-CD470B6B2E58%40beckweb.net.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/1538988884.4028154.1534277768.64EB998E%40webmail.messagingengine.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Daniel Beck


> On 8. Oct 2018, at 10:54, Olblak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you want to create dashboard to visualize commits informattion, you can do that with datadog
> -> https://docs.datadoghq.com/integrations/git/

I don't want git information, I want GitHub information. For example, what GitHub user pushed commits. In git, this is independent of who the author or committer are of any commits.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/1E592A1C-A7B7-4D49-8C66-101EB2751672%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Jesse Glick-4
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 3:33 PM Daniel Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't want git information, I want GitHub information.

For disaster recovery purposes I suppose. Have you contacted GitHub
support yet and asked them to make the equivalent of {{git reflog}}
available via the API? In my experience they have been pretty
responsive, and this is a very generally applicable RFE that they
could surely implement a lot more cheaply than delivering thousands of
webhooks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr0pKiLtv2_sH-tVy2LkW3sUPpHzVMY1YCCqJ5Hx5WKQZw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Daniel Beck


> On 8. Oct 2018, at 21:51, Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For disaster recovery purposes I suppose.

Not really, more for auditing. An example: Today I get notifications like this one:

> [2018-10-10 16:45:26]  <github-jenkins> [jenkins] kohsuke pushed 24 new commits to stable-2.138: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/compare/98995cb0e961...dacd550921d7

Why Git data alone, as proposed by Olivier, doesn't help:

* kohsuke is the GitHub user name; there are plenty of committers that don't associate their Git and GitHub identities.
* Date and time are those of the push, not of the (days to weeks old) commits.

So, clearly, kohsuke is making use of his permissions and revoking them would be a bad idea :-) [1]

1: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jenkinsci-dev/rzHqJ4p9lTg/nuIJ-ou7AgAJ

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/ACD34295-107E-475B-A38C-F2391EED43A9%40beckweb.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Jesse Glick-4
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Daniel Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why Git data alone, as proposed by Olivier, doesn't help:

Right, you want something more like the reflog. You can access this
(along with gobs of other stuff) via _pull_:

https://developer.github.com/v3/activity/events/#list-repository-events

There is also a GUI audit log

https://help.github.com/articles/reviewing-the-audit-log-for-your-organization/

which unfortunately does not include pushes, and in GHE there is a fuller log

https://help.github.com/enterprise/2.14/admin/articles/audit-logging/

which does. But anyway you want _push_ notification I suppose, with
webhooks. So that means finding, or writing, an app:

https://probot.github.io/docs/

Possibly something already exists among

https://github.com/search?p=5&q=topic%3Aprobot-app&type=Repositories

This idea sounds related:

https://github.com/probot/ideas/issues/23

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr2G_XS%2BKsqDo0oyLDYES3DUgHmToeJXYLnTqtF9L_NtkA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jenkins-infra] ircbot repository hooks

Jesse Glick-4
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:51 AM Jesse Glick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> that means finding, or writing, an app

https://developer.github.com/actions/

now looks like the easier way to do this. You would just need access
to some logging system you could send brief events to.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANfRfr0hVu1-YZX4PtwqLcfapg1Mi-RZV3vM22oDhuKjDDLzSg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.