Trunk compilation broken

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trunk compilation broken

Jesse Glick
http://hudson.sfbay/hudson/job/hudson/4863/console

No relevant changes:

Missing:
----------
1) castor:castor:jar:0.9.9.0-pre

[...]

   Path to dependency:
    1) org.jvnet.hudson.main:hudson-core:stapler-jar:1.150-SNAPSHOT
    2) groovy:groovy-all:jar:1.0
    3) openejb:openejb-loader:jar:1.0
    4) openejb:openejb-core:jar:1.0
    5) castor:castor:jar:0.9.9.0-pre

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
   org.jvnet.hudson.main:hudson-core:stapler-jar:1.150-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
   hudson-libs (file:main/lib),
   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
   java.net2 (http://download.java.net/maven/2/)


(Why does Groovy need OpenEJB?? Why did Hudson suddenly get this dep,
when nothing obvious changed in any POMs from the last build?)

I fixed this locally by download it from
http://dist.codehaus.org/castor/0.9.9/castor-0.9.9.jar and installing as
suggested by Maven. But now I am getting a problem in
FilePath.readFromTar which makes no sense to me. It seems like
ant-1.6.5.jar is suddenly in the classpath. But I don't know why;
main/core/pom.xml says

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
       <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
       <version>1.7.0</version>
     </dependency>

Any ideas?

-J.

--
[hidden email]  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Jesse Glick
Jesse Glick wrote:
> main/core/pom.xml says
>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
>       <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
>       <version>1.7.0</version>
>     </dependency>

I found it. Kohsuke just today edited the POM. (Though oddly this did
not show up in the changes list - ?) He added Groovy 1.0, which in turn
depends on "ant:ant:165" (note the different group ID). Maven therefore
included ant-1.6.5.jar in the classpath, and before 1.7.0. That also
explains the Castor issue - the new Groovy POM has a ton of deps
including openejb, annoyingly, and it is openejb-core-1.0.pom which has
the dep on the apparently nonexistent castor POM.

Reverting the change to main/core/pom.xml seems to help that compile.
But I still get the same problem from plugins/accurev.

-J.

--
[hidden email]  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Jesse Glick
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Reverting the change to main/core/pom.xml seems to help that compile.

...which I have committed.

> But I still get the same problem from plugins/accurev.

...due to plugins/pom.xml asking for an old version of core, for what
reason I don't know. Also fixed in CVS.

Kohsuke please review the changes.

-J.

--
[hidden email]  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jesse Glick
Jesse Glick wrote:

> http://hudson.sfbay/hudson/job/hudson/4863/console
>
> No relevant changes:
>
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1) castor:castor:jar:0.9.9.0-pre
>
> [...]
>
>    Path to dependency:
>     1) org.jvnet.hudson.main:hudson-core:stapler-jar:1.150-SNAPSHOT
>     2) groovy:groovy-all:jar:1.0
>     3) openejb:openejb-loader:jar:1.0
>     4) openejb:openejb-core:jar:1.0
>     5) castor:castor:jar:0.9.9.0-pre
>
> ----------
> 1 required artifact is missing.
>
> for artifact:
>    org.jvnet.hudson.main:hudson-core:stapler-jar:1.150-SNAPSHOT
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>    hudson-libs (file:main/lib),
>    central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>    java.net2 (http://download.java.net/maven/2/)
>
>
> (Why does Groovy need OpenEJB?? Why did Hudson suddenly get this dep,
> when nothing obvious changed in any POMs from the last build?)
Ouch. The reason I bumped up to Groovy 1.0 was because json-lib 2.0
contains some Groovy related files that seem to require Groovy 1.0. I
didn't realize Groovy 1.0 pulls in so many dependencies.

Looks like the root cause of this is that Groovy is built by Ant, and
hence the POM is not very well maintained. I committed further changes
so that we exclude most of the seemingly optional dependencies.

> I fixed this locally by download it from
> http://dist.codehaus.org/castor/0.9.9/castor-0.9.9.jar and installing as
> suggested by Maven. But now I am getting a problem in
> FilePath.readFromTar which makes no sense to me. It seems like
> ant-1.6.5.jar is suddenly in the classpath. But I don't know why;
> main/core/pom.xml says
>
>      <dependency>
>        <groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
>        <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
>        <version>1.7.0</version>
>      </dependency>
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -J.
>

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Jesse Glick
Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
> Looks like the root cause of this is that Groovy is built by Ant, and
> hence the POM is not very well maintained.

Will you file a bug for Groovy developers to this effect? (I'm not
completely confident I understand the situation.) You would think that
if there were optional dependencies, there should be bridge JARs/POMs
you could choose to use or not: e.g. groovy-openejb-1.0.jar (dep on
groovy-1.0.jar & openejb-x.y.jar), etc.

Also it seems that openejb is asking for a prerelease version of castor
which is no longer distributed in the standard Maven repository, which
is probably a bug that should be filed too.

-J.

--
[hidden email]  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Jesse Glick
In reply to this post by Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
> I committed further changes so that we exclude most of the seemingly
> optional dependencies.

But you broke compilation again, it seems...

-J.

--
[hidden email]  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org  hudson.dev.java.net
             http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
>> I committed further changes so that we exclude most of the seemingly
>> optional dependencies.
>
> But you broke compilation again, it seems...

I think it's back now.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trunk compilation broken

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jesse Glick
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
>> Looks like the root cause of this is that Groovy is built by Ant, and
>> hence the POM is not very well maintained.
>
> Will you file a bug for Groovy developers to this effect? (I'm not
> completely confident I understand the situation.)

Apparently this is already filed:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GROOVY-2102

I added my comment.

 > You would think that
> if there were optional dependencies, there should be bridge JARs/POMs
> you could choose to use or not: e.g. groovy-openejb-1.0.jar (dep on
> groovy-1.0.jar & openejb-x.y.jar), etc.
>
> Also it seems that openejb is asking for a prerelease version of castor
> which is no longer distributed in the standard Maven repository, which
> is probably a bug that should be filed too.

In later versions of openejb they apparently removed any dependencies to
castor. So I doubt if any action will be taken on this.



--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment