setup hudson slave in Windows

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

setup hudson slave in Windows

srireddy
Hi

I have installed Hudson in linux PC and so far there are no slaves running anywhere. only this acted as Master. now there is need to run one project in Windows PC.

I need to configure hudson slave in windows, i have gone through Hudson Master/Slave setup but it is bit unclear to me.
can anybody send me the link of clear procedure to setup?

Thanks in advance,

-/Sri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: setup hudson slave in Windows

Erik Ramfelt
What a coincidence, this week we're going to install a master server
and a bunch of agents. I wrote up a quick description on how to do it.
Its on the wiki at
http://hudson.gotdns.com/wiki/display/HUDSON/Installing+Hudson+as+a+Windows+service.
Read it and see if it makes sense to you, and if you have any
questions please send them to me so we can improve the documentation.

There is only one problem with the agent. The current JNLP agent
implementation runs as a GUI application, and it would be better if
was run as a headless service. Ive created a patch
(https://hudson.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=973) that will let
the agents to run headless. To use this patch you need to recompile
the Hudson.war as all agents are started using JNLP.

Regards
//Erik
On Nov 5, 2007 6:56 AM, srireddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi
>
> I have installed Hudson in linux PC and so far there are no slaves running
> anywhere. only this acted as Master. now there is need to run one project in
> Windows PC.
>
> I need to configure hudson slave in windows, i have gone through Hudson
> Master/Slave setup but it is bit unclear to me.
> can anybody send me the link of clear procedure to setup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -/Sri
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/setup-hudson-slave-in-Windows-tf4749802.html#a13581750
> Sent from the Hudson users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: setup hudson slave in Windows

srireddy
Hi,

Currently hudson service which acts as master is installed in Linux PC. and that is hudson.war deployed in Tomcat, and all projects are configured in that.
but it is mentioned in the documentation that hudson.war should be placed in hudson_master/lib, in that case do i need to change my old configurations?
I need to configure agent in windows PC, so can i just download and install hudson_agent?
If so, where do i need to specify master hudson details, how it considers hudson installed in linux as master server?.

-/Sri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: setup hudson slave in Windows

Erik Ramfelt
There is no need to run the master server as a windows service to be
able to run the slaves as a service. I will update the wiki to be more
clear on this issue. You do not need to change your old configuration.

If you click on the agent link on the master's main page (in the build
queue), you will come to a page with a JNLP link. Copy this link and
update the wrapper.conf at the specified place. The JNLP application
is configured specific for that slave, and it contains all
configuration needed for the slave. So except for the copying the link
there is nothing else you have to do to configure each slave.

regards
//Erik

On Nov 5, 2007 10:35 AM, srireddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> Currently hudson service which acts as master is installed in Linux PC. and
> that is hudson.war deployed in Tomcat, and all projects are configured in
> that.
> but it is mentioned in the documentation that hudson.war should be placed in
> hudson_master/lib, in that case do i need to change my old configurations?
> I need to configure agent in windows PC, so can i just download and install
> hudson_agent?
> If so, where do i need to specify master hudson details, how it considers
> hudson installed in linux as master server?.
>
> -/Sri
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/setup-hudson-slave-in-Windows-tf4749802.html#a13583564
>
> Sent from the Hudson users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: setup hudson slave in Windows

srireddy
Hi,

1. I have downloaded hudson-agent.zip and installed in my windows PC.

2. after that configured slave in Master hudson which is running on Linux PC.

3. copied JNLP link and updated in hudson-agent/conf/wrapper.conf.

4. I run the slave agent from master hudson browser by clicking "Launch" icon and run this command in CLI javaws http://hudson.acme.org/computer/slave-name/slave-agent.jnlp (JNLP link which i copied). I tried both ways from windows system. It tried to connect to linux system(hudson master) after that i can see the following messages
"Locating server", "connecting". but after sometime i got the below message.

java.net.ConnectException: connection timed out: connect
at ............................
..................................
.................................
at hudson.jnlp.Engine.run(Engine.java:48).

I dont understand why i am getting the above exception? is the above procedure correct?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: setup hudson slave in Windows

Erik Ramfelt
On Nov 6, 2007 11:07 AM, srireddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 4. I run the slave agent from master hudson browser by clicking "Launch"
> icon and run this command in CLI javaws
> http://hudson.acme.org/computer/slave-name/slave-agent.jnlp (JNLP link which
> i copied). I tried both ways from windows system. It tried to connect to
> linux system(hudson master) after that i can see the following messages
> "Locating server", "connecting". but after sometime i got the below message.
>
> java.net.ConnectException: connection timed out: connect
> at ............................
> ..................................
> .................................
> at hudson.jnlp.Engine.run(Engine.java:48).
>
> I dont understand why i am getting the above exception? is the above
> procedure correct?

Have I understood you correctly, that you have tried to start the web
start app on the slave maching using the JNLP link on the slave page
manually? Is a Hudson window shown? And you still cant get a
connection, right?

Do you have a firewall between the slave and master?

From what I can see in the code (http://shorl.com/friprestohymaro),
the slave makes a HttpURLConnection to the master server which replies
with a response with a "X-Hudson-JNLP-Port" parameter. This parameter
is then used by the slave to create a socket to the server. Could this
socket be blocked in some way?

regards
//Erik

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]